Global Relationships Program
Glendal Primary School has developed longstanding positive and productive relationships with schools around the world.
We aim to prepare our students so that they understand and appreciate different cultures and thrive within a global community in the challenging, complex 21st-century world.
Our Global Relationships program includes:
- Regular student exchanges with our sister schools in the USA (Pennsylvania and Hawaii) and Sumner School, New Zealand.
- The opportunity to work with other students and teachers from Joint Environmental Mission (JEM) sister schools, every four years at the Earth Summit in Pennsylvania.
- Communication with schools in other Australian States and Territories and other countries using ICT tools such as Skype video conferencing, email, publishing letters / report.
- Hosting visits from interstate and overseas teachers and educationalists.
Our French language program for senior school students (Years 5 and 6) includes the opportunity to spend a week in Noumea, New Caledonia, to further develop French language skills. This trip is organised every two years and will occur in 2018. This French immersion program gives students the opportunity to broaden their knowledge of the French culture, to enhance and develop their French language skills and to experience some of the local culture and sights of Noumea, where French is spoken as a first language. Most of our year 6 students go on to secondary schools, where French is taught as a LOTE option.
Student Exchange Program
Students in years 5 and 6 have the opportunity to be involved in regular student exchange programs, as hosts to visiting schools and as guests of our schools in Hawaii, Pennsylvania (USA), and, every 2 years, Sumner School in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Sumner School Visit 2018
The student exchange program between the Kamehameha School in Hawaii and Buckingham Friends School in Pennsylvania is operated on a four to five year cycle of visits.
Joint Environmental Mission (JEM) Program
This is a unique, international program with Glendal Primary being one of the founding schools and the only Australian school involved.
The JEM Mission Statement is: "To help the children of all nations walk together in balance with the environment"
The goals of the program are as follows:
- To develop lasting friendships in JEM schools around the world and foster the notion of kindness and sharing with others around the world.
- To forge a viable environmental future through these international friendships and reawaken our students to the beauty and majesty of the earth we share.
The JEM program involves schools from America, Russia, Haiti, China, India, Ecuador, Kenya, Hawaii and Glendal PS. Each year a theme is established and schools conduct their own research and experiments to share and compare findings. Themes that have been explored include Water, Air, Energy, Endangered Species and Earth.
An Earth Summit is held at the Buckingham Friends School every 4-5 years.
Glendal is actively participating and encouraging all aspects of JEM. Each class elects a JEM representative, who attends regular meetings to discuss ways to protect, improve and beautify our Glendal environment.
School activities are provided for students from Foundation to Year 6 which focus on environmental activities, managing the school 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle' program and other conservation programs. Guest speakers and excursions are also incorporated into the program throughout the year.
The strength and special nature of the friendships forged, during these international exchanges, is testament to the values and success of the JEM program.
International and Interstate Communication
Students have the opportunity to communicate in writing and digital technology with other schools in Australia and overseas.
Happy Chinese Dragon Boat Festival - June
It’s that time of the year for us to celebrate the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival. See the legend and customs of this Chinese traditional festival from the following posters made by Years 5-6 students:
Chinese Performance - February
Happy Chinese New Year everyone!